Winter break is almost here! There’s a spirit day this week – dress in your favorite “ugly sweater” this Friday 12/20!
Due to the inclement weather day on Monday (12/16) our dental clinic was not held. Rescheduling information will be forthcoming, as will an updated sign up for volunteering.
School will be closed next week through the first of the year (12/23/19-1/1/20), re-opening on Thursday 1/2/20.
We will kick off the new year with a restaurant night fundraiser at Modern Market (6181 Old Dobbin Ln, Suite 200) – because who wants to cook dinner after the kids’ first day back after a long winter break?!? Join us for a great meal and mention Guilford Elementary PTA – no need for a flyer.
Tomorrow night (12/10) is our December PTA meeting! We’d love to have you join us at 6:30pm in Guilford’s media center. It’s a great opportunity to find out what’s going on around the school, hear from the administration, and connect with other parents.
Looking to earn a little extra money around the holidays? Guilford is in need of a Lunch/Recess monitor. It pays $10.50 and hour and you would be working for 3 hours a day sometime between 10:45 – 2:45 depending on the schedule. Please email Trish Lannon at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
The winter instrumental concerts are this Thursday (12/12)! Strings perform at 6:30pm and band performs at 7:30pm.
The Dental Clinic will visit Guilford next week on Monday (12/16) and the health room could use a few parent volunteers to help escort students to and from the clinic. If you can help out, please sign up to let us know!
Have a great week!!
Welcome back! We hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving break!! Last week was a busy week around Guilford and we are so thankful for everyone who was able to help out around the school, from Jump Rope for Heart to Book Fair to PTA’s parent-teacher conference dinner. To all our volunteers: THANK YOU!!!
This coming Friday, 12/6 is a Spirit Day at Guilford – it’s Crazy Hair Day!!
The health room is seeking volunteers to help escort students to/from the Dental Clinic on 12/16. Please sign up if you are able to help out!
Just a few things to note from HCPSS:
- All Howard County Public School System schools and offices will be closed on Tuesday, February 4, 2020, due to the special primary election to fill the 7th congressional district seat vacated following the passing of Rep. Elijah Cummings. As this closing was not originally listed on the HCPSS calendar, this announcement is being made as early as possible to allow families to plan ahead for the closure.
- Effective December 1, HCPSS is launching a color-coding notification system for emergency and other non-scheduled school closings, including for inclement weather. The new system standardizes the school system’s operational status to five possibilities to enhance consistency, while promoting the safety of HCPSS students and staff, and adhering to negotiated agreements on staff availability.
The HCPSS operating status will be identified on a new website: https://status.hcpss.org/. The HCPSS operational color code options are:
- Code Green – Normal Operations (in accordance with the HCPSS calendar)
- Code Red – Schools and Offices Closed
- Code Orange – Schools Closed; Offices Open with Liberal Leave in Effect
- Code Blue – Schools Open Two Hours Late
- Code Yellow – Schools Dismiss Early
All notifications regarding emergency closings will include both the code and operating status.
The emergency notification sources are:
- HCPSS status website
- HCPSS homepage
- Email/text alerts
- HCPSS Information Hotline (410-313-6666)
Please note: HCPSS cable TV is no longer a source for inclement weather closings.