It’s American Education Week!
Parents are welcome throughout the week. We wanted you to be aware that each grade level is involved in Long Range Planning this week for part of a day. There will be a substitute teaching on these days and we encourage you to find another time to visit the classroom.
Tuesday: November 14th
- 9:30 to 10:15 Growth Mindset Parent Training
- 12:45 to 1:30 Growth Mindset Parent Training
- 6:30 pm PTA meeting in the Cafeteria
Wednesday, November 15th
- 1st grade teachers will be in Long Range Planning from 9:00 to 12:00
- 3rd grade teachers will be in Long Range Planning from 1:00 to 4:00
Thursday, November 16th
- 2nd grade teachers will be in Long Range Planning from 9:00 to 12:00
- Kindergarten teachers will be in Long Range Planning from 1:00 to 4:00
Friday, November 17th
- 5th grade teachers will be in Long Range Planning from 9:00 to 12:00
- 4th grade teachers will be in Long Range Planning from 1:00 to 4:00
A few reminders to help maintain a learning environment while visiting:
- -sign in and wear a badge indicating you are a visitor
- -while in the classrooms keep conversations to a minimum
- -turn off cell phone, please no cell phone use in the building, step outside as needed
- -bringing young children may be a distraction to learning
- -if you want to talk with the teacher, please sign up for a parent teacher conference
- -space in the classrooms is limited and it is challenging to accommodate strollers. Parents with young children may want to join your child at lunch and/or recess.
Here are dates to watch for this week:
- Nov 13-17 — American Education Week
- Nov 13 — Scholastic Book Fair Week
- Nov 14 — Focus Day for American Education Week
- Nov 14 — Information Session about Growth Mindset, 9:30-10:15am or 12:45-1:3-pm in Professional Learning Room
- Nov 14 — PTA Meeting 6:30 p.m. in Cafeteria
- Nov 16 — Book Fair Family Fun Night 5:30-7:30pm in Media Center
- Nov 17 — Report cards sent home
- Nov 17 — Crazy Hair Day – Wear your hair in a wild style:spike,fancy hair clips….
More Updates From the PTA and the School:
GES Spirit Wear 2017
GES Spirit Wear forms are going home in today’s Wednesday folder and are due back by November 20th. Click here to view form spiritwear.pdf
BOX TOPS for Education
Congratulations to our October winners – 2nd grade. They submitted 415 boxtops!!!!
The grade that brings in the most BOX TOPS each month will receive 10 extra ROAR tickets,(that’s per student) so be sure you write your students GRADE on the ziplock bag. Whether you have 5 or 50, send them in. Each valid box top is worth 10 cents to our school. It really does add up. Thank you Guilford families for sending in your box tops. We have submitted 1902 boxtops so far for this school year and have earned $190.20 Thanks for supporting our school!
Don’t Forget to Join the PTA!
You can join on our website at http://www.guilfordpta.com/whatwedo/membership/ and send in a printed membership form with your student. The cost is $15 for an individual membership or $20 for a family membership. Thank you!!
WILD WEST BOOK FAIR 2017
The scholastic book fair, The Wild West, Saddle Up and Read , will be opening on November the 10th in the media center. Beginning on this day classes will be previewing the fair during the scheduled media time. Last Wednesday October 18th we sent home the flier announcing the fair.
Please MARK YOUR CALENDAR for our annual BOOK FAIR FAMILY FUN NIGHT on November 16th from 5:30-7:30. Come out for a fun evening with family and friends. Shop the fair, read with a buddy or even stay for the movie, Toy Story 2 being shown in the 4th grade Pod beginning at 6pm.
PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCES – NOVEMBER 20th and 21st
To schedule parent/teacher conferences, parents can log onto their “HCPSSConnect” account at the Howard County Public School website: www.hcpss.org Parents will be able to schedule their conferences starting November 3rd. You will have access to scheduling or cancelling your appointments until November 15th. Parent instructions for scheduling parent/teacher conferences can be found at “HCPSSConnect” under “Guides” at the HCPSS website, www.hcpss.org .
Growing Kids Who Love to Learn
Are you interested in learning about a growth mindset and why it is important for children? If so, join our Math Support Teacher, Cheryl Akers, and our Reading Support Teacher, Joanna Kasda, on Tuesday, November 14th, for an information session about Growth Mindset. During this session, parents will learn how to promote a growth mindset with their children through a focus on praise and responding to mistakes. This session will be offered twice; please join us in the Professional Learning Room at either 9:30-10:15am or 12:45-1:30pm. We hope to see you there!
Upcoming Dates for the rest of November:
- Nov 20 — School Closes 3 Hrs early,No PreK, Parent Teacher Conferences
- Nov 20 — Jump Rope for Hearts – Grades K-1st
- Nov 20 — Spirit Wear Orders Due
- Nov 20-21 — P/T Conferences
- Nov 21 — School Closes 3 Hrs early, No Pre-K, Parent Teacher Conferences
- Nov 21 — Jump Rope for Hearts – Grades 2nd-5th
- Nov 22-24 — School Closed
- Nov 28 — Fall Individual Picture Re-take Day
- Nov 28 — Restaurant Night at Jason Deli 5:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.
- Nov 29 — Grade 2 In-House Field Trip – Fire Safety House