The Guilford PTA Spirit Wear store is now open! Head over to our spirit wear page for details or go directly to our store to purchase your Guilford Tiger Strong gear. Orders will be collected until Sunday October 4th.
PTA is excited about our Raise Craze fundraiser that kicked off last week! Don’t forget to help your student register for the fundraiser and log their acts of kindness!
Please join us at the PTA meeting tomorrow night (Tuesday, 2/11) in the media center at 6:30pm. We have big plans for 2020 and welcome your input and help!
Next Tuesday, 2/18, is our Evening of Kindness! Students will have opportunities to complete acts of kindness benefiting our community during the event. Please join us! We could also use some volunteers throughout the evening – sign up if you are able to help out!
IMPORTANT SCHOOL DATES:
Thursday 2/13 & Friday 2/14 – school closes three (3) hours early for parent/teacher conferences.
Monday 2/17 – school is closed for Presidents Day.
Report cards will be sent home with students today! Please sign and return the envelope on Wednesday this week.
Howard County schools will be CLOSED TOMORROW, Tuesday 2/4/20, for the special primary election.
We are excited to welcome Justin Berk, Meteorologist to Guilford on Thursday 2/6/20 for a Faith in the Flakes assembly! Thursday evening is cozy reading and math night at school!
Our Raise Craze fundraiser is happening and we encourage families to help their students log acts of kindness.
Mark your calendars for our next PTA meeting on Tuesday 2/11 and our Evening of Kindness on Tuesday 2/18. If you are able to help out during evening of kindness, you can sign up here. We hope to see you there!
It’s a spirit week at Guilford!
1/28: Hat Day
1/29: Sweat Suit Day
1/30: Crazy Sock Day
1/31: Jersey Day
Mark your calendars for some upcoming PTA events!
- We will kick off our Raise Craze fundraiser on February 6th welcoming meteorologist Justin Berk for a Faith in the Flakes assembly! This is our biggest fundraiser of the year, so please be on the lookout for ways you can help your student participate.
- Our next meeting is on Tuesday February 11th in the media center from 6:30-8pm – all are welcome!!
- Please join us for our Evening of Kindness event on Tuesday February 18th – our students will visit stations throughout the night where they can do some hands on activities to spread kindness in our community!
Winter break is almost here! There’s a spirit day this week – dress in your favorite “ugly sweater” this Friday 12/20!
Due to the inclement weather day on Monday (12/16) our dental clinic was not held. Rescheduling information will be forthcoming, as will an updated sign up for volunteering.
School will be closed next week through the first of the year (12/23/19-1/1/20), re-opening on Thursday 1/2/20.
We will kick off the new year with a restaurant night fundraiser at Modern Market (6181 Old Dobbin Ln, Suite 200) – because who wants to cook dinner after the kids’ first day back after a long winter break?!? Join us for a great meal and mention Guilford Elementary PTA – no need for a flyer.
Tomorrow night (12/10) is our December PTA meeting! We’d love to have you join us at 6:30pm in Guilford’s media center. It’s a great opportunity to find out what’s going on around the school, hear from the administration, and connect with other parents.
Looking to earn a little extra money around the holidays? Guilford is in need of a Lunch/Recess monitor. It pays $10.50 and hour and you would be working for 3 hours a day sometime between 10:45 – 2:45 depending on the schedule. Please email Trish Lannon at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
The winter instrumental concerts are this Thursday (12/12)! Strings perform at 6:30pm and band performs at 7:30pm.
The Dental Clinic will visit Guilford next week on Monday (12/16) and the health room could use a few parent volunteers to help escort students to and from the clinic. If you can help out, please sign up to let us know!
Have a great week!!
Welcome back! We hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving break!! Last week was a busy week around Guilford and we are so thankful for everyone who was able to help out around the school, from Jump Rope for Heart to Book Fair to PTA’s parent-teacher conference dinner. To all our volunteers: THANK YOU!!!
This coming Friday, 12/6 is a Spirit Day at Guilford – it’s Crazy Hair Day!!
The health room is seeking volunteers to help escort students to/from the Dental Clinic on 12/16. Please sign up if you are able to help out!
Just a few things to note from HCPSS:
- All Howard County Public School System schools and offices will be closed on Tuesday, February 4, 2020, due to the special primary election to fill the 7th congressional district seat vacated following the passing of Rep. Elijah Cummings. As this closing was not originally listed on the HCPSS calendar, this announcement is being made as early as possible to allow families to plan ahead for the closure.
- Effective December 1, HCPSS is launching a color-coding notification system for emergency and other non-scheduled school closings, including for inclement weather. The new system standardizes the school system’s operational status to five possibilities to enhance consistency, while promoting the safety of HCPSS students and staff, and adhering to negotiated agreements on staff availability.
The HCPSS operating status will be identified on a new website: https://status.hcpss.org/. The HCPSS operational color code options are:
- Code Green – Normal Operations (in accordance with the HCPSS calendar)
- Code Red – Schools and Offices Closed
- Code Orange – Schools Closed; Offices Open with Liberal Leave in Effect
- Code Blue – Schools Open Two Hours Late
- Code Yellow – Schools Dismiss Early
All notifications regarding emergency closings will include both the code and operating status.
The emergency notification sources are:
- HCPSS status website
- HCPSS homepage
- Email/text alerts
- HCPSS Information Hotline (410-313-6666)
Please note: HCPSS cable TV is no longer a source for inclement weather closings.
It’s a short but busy week here at Guilford! School dismisses three hours early today (Monday) and tomorrow (Tuesday) and school is closed for parent teacher conferences this Wednesday, 11/27/19 and for Thanksgiving Break on Thursday and Friday.
PTA is providing our amazing teachers with dinner tonight to help them through the upcoming evenings of conferences. There are still opportunities to donate a dish!
The Scholastic Book Fair is at Guilford right now! You can shop the book fair between 9am-7pm today and tomorrow. If you are able to give a couple hours of your time, we could use a hand helping our shoppers! Volunteer for any two hour shift here!
Our school is in need of recess equipment for indoor and outdoor recess and has created a Wish List on Amazon. You can help the school twice by shopping via Amazon Smile! Go to smile.amazon.com and select “Guilford Elementary School PTA” as your charity to support – this is also a great way to support our PTA when you’re doing your online holiday shopping!
Have a great Thanksgiving Break!!
The Scholatic Book Fair opens this Friday! If you are able to help set up on Thursday afternoon, or volunteer some time to assist students and shoppers this Friday or next Monday or Tuesday, it would be greatly appreciated! The book fair will be open for shopping until 3:30pm this Friday and then open late next Monday and Tuesday until 7pm.
Next week is a short week but a busy one! School closes early on Monday and Tuesday, and is closed for parent-teacher conferences on Wednesday. Jump Rope for Heart will take place on Monday 11/25 from 1-3pm.
Also on Monday, PTA will be providing dinner for our teachers! You can still sign up to contribute sides, salad, main dishes and more!